Sunday, September 16, 2012

My New Full-Time Job

After my last post, Adelaide had another weight check and had only gained 1oz in the 8 days between appointments. To add to my anxiety, my supply tanked again, and the doc told me it was time to start supplementing. Fortunately she encouraged supplementing with expressed breast milk as much as possible, only adding formula to fill in the gaps if necessary.  She also doubled my dose of domperidone in hopes of getting my supply back up to an acceptable level for the amount of feeding and pumping I was about to start doing.

Immediately after the appointment I went home and started the work towards packing on some pounds and getting my supply back up. I was, and still am, determined to make this work.  Feeding our wee girl has become my new full time job. Here's what our day looks like now (obviously, times vary based on her sleep/wake schedule for the day, and she may drop one of the mid-day feedings if she decides to nap):

5am - alarm goes off and I pump from 1 side
7am - Adelaide wakes- nurse from opposite side, pump (she doesn't need a bottle with this feed because I have a decent morning supply)
9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm- nurse, 2oz bottle, pump
Midnight- alarm goes off (if I've made it to bed yet) and I pump from both sides

In total, a nurse/bottle/pump feeding session takes about 45 minutes (plus the time it takes to clean and prepare my pump for the next time around) so I really only get just over an hour between the end of one feed and the beginning of another. It makes outings difficult, and it has obviously messed with our sleep schedules, but we're doing what's necessary to give her what she needs. It's not permanent.

I take 80mg domperidone and 6 tablets of fenugreek each day, along with milkmaid tea when necessary.  When the fenugreek tabs are gone, I'll be switching to Mother's Milk which is a combination of herbs in drop form. I've also increased my food and liquid intake to help keep my body fueled for milk production. I'll focus on weight loss later.

I'm also meeting with a lactation consultant tomorrow to see if they can help at all.  I have a feeling my low supply (and therefore low weight gain) is a lazy latch issue. I think Adelaide simply eats until she no longer feels hungry, and then drops off.  It's often a fight to keep her awake and focused on what she's doing after about 5 minutes.

The last of my freezer stash

So far, we haven't need any formula (I have some as a back-up just in case), but I used the last of my little freezer stash last night so that may change today. My supply is coming back up, but I'm still not sure I'll be able to express enough to meet 100% of her supplement needs (approx 12-14oz per day). I sure am going to try though, and, if it comes down to it, I am just going to have to be at peace with the fact that the formula is what we need to do to make sure she's growing properly.

Through all of this, Adelaide is as happy and amazing as ever. She may be little, but she's developing so quickly I can hardly stand it. I'm so lucky to have been given such a sweet girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment