Monday, August 27, 2012

My tiny girl has me worried

Below is a copy of the email I sent to some friends today about my worries around Adelaide's growth... or lack thereof. It pretty much sums everything up.
 
Adelaide went for her 2 month well-baby visit 2 weeks ago and hadn't gained enough weight. The doctor wasn't concerned at the time since she's happy and seems healthy. She said to come back in two weeks for a quick follow-up. I worked hard to feed her for longer, and more often when we could, but we went back this morning and she had only gained 3oz (she's 8lbs 13.5oz now- at 12 weeks old), which isn't even half of what she should have gained at a minimum in the two weeks since our last visit. So now our next steps are to get blood work done to check for several things, including diabetes.

The thing is, she seems fine. She's really content and alert most of the time, eats really regularly, sleeps really well at night, and has the proper amount of diapers. The doctor said she still checks out great, and doesn't show any signs of dehydration or anything. So, it's not like she's starving. I'm so concerned that it's something more than just not getting enough calories.

I know I'm probably overreacting, but I'm worried. I feel so bad that she's so tiny, and I feel like I'm somehow failing with BFing, even though it seems to be going perfectly.

Ugh... I feel like crap over this.
 
Here's a quick pic I snapped of my sweet girl, patiently waiting for the doctor to arrive.

IMAG0380

Update: We took Adelaide for her blood work and it was AWFUL. It took almost an hour to sqeeze two vials of blood, drop by drop, from a prick in her tiny foot.  She screamed.... I cried.

The good news is that her blood work came back clear. No diabetes, no abnormalities.  SUCH a relief.

The bad news... she's still tiny. We go back on Tuesday for a weight check and I'm pretty sure that they doctor will ask me to start supplementing with formula. This breaks my heart. Breastfeeding is so important to me and I'm torn up that I can't give her what she needs.  And I'm so mixed on adding formula when she's content and has plenty of diapers. How much more can I give her.

I've bumped her feedings up by an hour and am feeding her every 2 instead of 3, and I plan to head out today to get some herbal supplements that will hopefully boost my supply.  I'm not optimistic though. I feel like my supply is WAY down and I haven't seen any improvement.  I'm going to keep trying though.  Even if it means getting up in the middle of the night to pump so I can supplement with breast milk and keep my supply up, that's what I'll do. I desperately want EBF.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment