Thursday, October 20, 2011

Weight Gain

It's happening.  Already.  Noticeably so.  My husband keeps saying, "it's okay to get bigger, you're pregnant" and I just want to slap him every time he does.  It's NOT okay to be gaining weight so noticeably at 7 weeks pregnant because it's definitely not my blueberry sized baby.  I don't know how much I weighed before I was pregnant but I do know that I gained 2 pounds in a week.  My pants are getting tighter and I'm going to have to but out the belly band probably in the next couple of days to avoid an unsightly muffin top.  It's disgusting.  And depressing.  I seriously feel like a cow and I'm terrified that I'm going to be one of those unlucky people that just totally balloons.

My problem? I can't stop eating.  I don't mean that the way it sounds. It's not about cravings, it's about avoiding (or at least helping with) the nausea.  The minute I'm not full, I start to feel really sick.  I have to eat several crackers before my feet even touch the ground in the morning, then I eat breakfast, a snack (usually a banana), lunch, 2 snacks (usually an apple and some toast) and then some crackers when I get home to hold me to dinner.  Last night I had to dig in to my cracker stash at around midnight when I couldn't fall asleep.  I rarely want this foods, but I know if I don't get something in to me, I'll be sick.  On top of that, the weather has been crappy here so the last thing my exhausted and sick body feels like doing is going for a walk.  It's hard enough to get out of bed.  Plus, there are only certain foods that I can tolerate.  The thought of my usual morning hard boiled egg is revolting, the mere idea of the raw veggies that I used to snack on turns my stomach, and I choke down my banana and apple each day.  All I can think about it a pumpernickel bagel, smothered in cream cheese from The Great Canadian Bagel and a whole medium pepperoni pizza, both of which I have thankfully been able to avoid thus far (we'll see how much longer I can hold out). What my body is craving is starchy or calorie rich comfort foods: toast, crackers, bread, pasta, cheese etc.  I want nothing to do with fruits, veggies or lean proteins.  I only got through about a third of the beautiful fresh salad my husband made for me the other night (which used to be one of my favorite parts of the meal) before I had to throw it out.  Add to that, I've added a lot more milk to my diet because I need the calcium.... and while it's good for me and baby and even though it's skim, it's over 100 calories per glass.  So those extra calories, added to the additional crackers and breads I'm taking in for the nausea really have me packing on the pounds. 

I don't really know what to do about it.  I'm pregnant.  If I'm hungry, I have to eat.  I'm exhausted at the end of the work day and have to rest (around studying for mid-terms- a whole other battle).  So I guess I'm just going to have to take whatever weight gain comes.  It sucks.  A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment